Artist's Statement



I'm not really sure just how I do what I do as I create. As I write or sculpt or paint, play an instrument or sing, I disappear, becoming whatever it is that is being creatively born. It is only in a sort of shimmering aftermath that I realize I have been absent, and like a whale emerging from the depths suddenly 'I am' once more.
I am sitting in a room. There is a window beside me, softened at its edges by curtains, and a breeze pulls through. There is a floor beneath my feet. Where have I been?

Then I look and see that the paper beneath my hands is no longer blank, or the room resonates with the music that has flown forth from the guitar I am holding. Words have crowded onto the page of my notebook like a gathering of gleeful old friends. Something I cannot fully explain, whose origins are a complete mystery, exists, where before it did not.


While I do not know how I do what I do, I deeply know why. Much of the world is in pain, and those of us in it feel, in various ways, the dissonance, as the pain reverberates through. Something is wrong with the way we regard the Earth. Something is broken as we treat each other so poorly, as we stagnate in hate, and as we are absorbed by fear. Something needs to change, as we are so bad to ourselves, as we succumb to doubt, isolation and anger.

As I disappear, I think I must be seeking a solution to some of these challenges, issues, and difficulties. What I bring back with me, in words or images or music, responds to the friction, loneliness, misunderstanding and hurt in the world. It questions the way things are, and suggests kindness, symbiosis, awareness and playfulness. It acknowledges what we may lose if we cannot change from our present course, but never fully deviates from the joy and brightness that is still possible.


- Jorie Jenkins



Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Amnamaran Mother and Child: Eyabrenna and Bry'e



The Amnamaran People

A highly insular tribe of the deep Miriconian lands, Amnamar are an equatorial clan dispersed through many jungles of the world. They are unusual in several respects physiologically, as they have a chest pouch similar to many marsupials in which they carry their young, though they are egg-laying animals distantly related to birds. They also have bilateral throat vents that act as secondary nostrils for breathing, and have four lungs rather than two. They are among the most intelligent, strongest and most agile of all the Earthspeakers, and yet they are among the most disconnected from Man. Many of their jungle homes are being decimated by human industry and agriculture - thus, many of their clans have become environmental refugees, and intercultural clashes have erupted as territorial disputes ensue. 

Eyabrenna, Queen of the Amnamar, oversees a tribe of nearly 3000 individuals dispersed through a wild cloud forest. The territorial disputes in her region are fiery and have led to battles in the past. The highly dangerous Atuyaran tribe to the North has raided Eyabrennan lands in the past, but for now, an uneasy peace has settled on the tribe. Bry'e, only daughter of the Queen, has been predicted as the successor to her mother, though bloodlines do not guarantee a reigning queen's succession. 

Bry'e struggles with her role as the future leader of her people, and quails under the stark expectations of her warrior mother. Her hearts (both mind and heart) tell her that something more is meant for her, and as she matures, she considered escaping from the Amnamaran lands, and imagines striking out on her own... 

Original painting, matted

$500

25% of all purchases go to Earth Initiatives at Global Green

Globalgreen.org

No comments:

Post a Comment