Artist's Statement



I'm not really sure just how I do what I do as I create. As I write or sculpt or paint, play an instrument or sing, I disappear, becoming whatever it is that is being creatively born. It is only in a sort of shimmering aftermath that I realize I have been absent, and like a whale emerging from the depths suddenly 'I am' once more.
I am sitting in a room. There is a window beside me, softened at its edges by curtains, and a breeze pulls through. There is a floor beneath my feet. Where have I been?

Then I look and see that the paper beneath my hands is no longer blank, or the room resonates with the music that has flown forth from the guitar I am holding. Words have crowded onto the page of my notebook like a gathering of gleeful old friends. Something I cannot fully explain, whose origins are a complete mystery, exists, where before it did not.


While I do not know how I do what I do, I deeply know why. Much of the world is in pain, and those of us in it feel, in various ways, the dissonance, as the pain reverberates through. Something is wrong with the way we regard the Earth. Something is broken as we treat each other so poorly, as we stagnate in hate, and as we are absorbed by fear. Something needs to change, as we are so bad to ourselves, as we succumb to doubt, isolation and anger.

As I disappear, I think I must be seeking a solution to some of these challenges, issues, and difficulties. What I bring back with me, in words or images or music, responds to the friction, loneliness, misunderstanding and hurt in the world. It questions the way things are, and suggests kindness, symbiosis, awareness and playfulness. It acknowledges what we may lose if we cannot change from our present course, but never fully deviates from the joy and brightness that is still possible.


- Jorie Jenkins



Monday, June 13, 2016

The Great Moth of Dashmanaug


The Great Moth of Dashmanaug is an ancient, slightly luminous and deeply wise character, living and working in the Ee'Noull Valley of Mirico. The lands of his birth have been inundated by Man, and the Ee'Noull specifically has been stripped and mined for copper, making the area a dead zone for thousands of years. Dashmanaug's greatest hope is to rehabilitate the region with the introduction of plants and creatures that absorb toxins from the soil, and in his efforts Dashmanaug has employed both human beings and Earth Ambassadors alike.

Luminous insects and other moths are drawn to his subtle glow, and often he travels with a whirling crown of fireflies above his head. His lantern, or Pirn, always shines more brightly when he takes it in hand, and one of his favorite Miriconian songs happens to be about such a lantern. The song speaks of hope, as the light of the Pirn guides us through a dark time, toward the light of a new day.





Though bitter be the night beyond our little arc of light
Though starless sky be beating on the roof with all its might
Here be the glow that we gather 'round while night be on the sill
And here to stay sing the night away to the break of dawn until

Though the dark of it be a mystery there is naught of night to fear
Though may cry the owl and the windy howl I am with you now so near
For we be warm all within a ring of pirn-glow safe and sound
So nestle in and listen to the eve'ing winging down

Though shadow stark staring through the boughs where together now we lay
Still sparkle-sky send a twinkle-eye 'pon the near and far away
Where wander we ever onward wend tremble never for the cold
For lantern light warms the wander-night with the flame of *Yirdil Old.

Now the moons are peeking o'er the trees and the wind is whining shrill
The stars above all a'shivering just beyond the shadowy hill
Though lonely I so was before now your company I keep
And even on the coldest night so soundly do I sleep


*Yirdil refers to the oldest energy born of the Earth, the first life and first light that shone as it rose from the darkness. Sometimes Yirdil is a shining tree, also known as Yirdilfi, and other times the ancient light is referred to as Chimaquatka, the Mother Universe or Womb.

No comments:

Post a Comment