Artist's Statement



I'm not really sure just how I do what I do as I create. As I write or sculpt or paint, play an instrument or sing, I disappear, becoming whatever it is that is being creatively born. It is only in a sort of shimmering aftermath that I realize I have been absent, and like a whale emerging from the depths suddenly 'I am' once more.
I am sitting in a room. There is a window beside me, softened at its edges by curtains, and a breeze pulls through. There is a floor beneath my feet. Where have I been?

Then I look and see that the paper beneath my hands is no longer blank, or the room resonates with the music that has flown forth from the guitar I am holding. Words have crowded onto the page of my notebook like a gathering of gleeful old friends. Something I cannot fully explain, whose origins are a complete mystery, exists, where before it did not.


While I do not know how I do what I do, I deeply know why. Much of the world is in pain, and those of us in it feel, in various ways, the dissonance, as the pain reverberates through. Something is wrong with the way we regard the Earth. Something is broken as we treat each other so poorly, as we stagnate in hate, and as we are absorbed by fear. Something needs to change, as we are so bad to ourselves, as we succumb to doubt, isolation and anger.

As I disappear, I think I must be seeking a solution to some of these challenges, issues, and difficulties. What I bring back with me, in words or images or music, responds to the friction, loneliness, misunderstanding and hurt in the world. It questions the way things are, and suggests kindness, symbiosis, awareness and playfulness. It acknowledges what we may lose if we cannot change from our present course, but never fully deviates from the joy and brightness that is still possible.


- Jorie Jenkins



Thursday, June 23, 2016

The Bee Flautist : A Gathering...


As thousands gather for the Earth Summit in the Lands of Mirico, a festival atmosphere takes over in many of the streets and bazaars... The Bees of New Che-Uin have many talents, from architecture and botany to embroidery, millinery and musical performance. Blending the traditional bee dances with flute playing, Azhban the Bee makes merriment as the visitors to the city stream past him toward the Main Assembly Hall. 

Much will be discussed at the Assembly, as Earthspeakers from all over the world gather to report on regional concerns, and to discuss sustainable systems in the fragile and interwoven series of natural biospheres they call home. Educators, scientists, inventors, artisans and philosophers alike take turns in debate, and as the Assembly takes recess the performers take to many stages throughout the golden city... 

Bee Flautist, matted to 11x14 

$300

25% of all gallery proceeds go to Earth Initiatives at Global Green

Globalgreen.org

No comments:

Post a Comment