Artist's Statement



I'm not really sure just how I do what I do as I create. As I write or sculpt or paint, play an instrument or sing, I disappear, becoming whatever it is that is being creatively born. It is only in a sort of shimmering aftermath that I realize I have been absent, and like a whale emerging from the depths suddenly 'I am' once more.
I am sitting in a room. There is a window beside me, softened at its edges by curtains, and a breeze pulls through. There is a floor beneath my feet. Where have I been?

Then I look and see that the paper beneath my hands is no longer blank, or the room resonates with the music that has flown forth from the guitar I am holding. Words have crowded onto the page of my notebook like a gathering of gleeful old friends. Something I cannot fully explain, whose origins are a complete mystery, exists, where before it did not.


While I do not know how I do what I do, I deeply know why. Much of the world is in pain, and those of us in it feel, in various ways, the dissonance, as the pain reverberates through. Something is wrong with the way we regard the Earth. Something is broken as we treat each other so poorly, as we stagnate in hate, and as we are absorbed by fear. Something needs to change, as we are so bad to ourselves, as we succumb to doubt, isolation and anger.

As I disappear, I think I must be seeking a solution to some of these challenges, issues, and difficulties. What I bring back with me, in words or images or music, responds to the friction, loneliness, misunderstanding and hurt in the world. It questions the way things are, and suggests kindness, symbiosis, awareness and playfulness. It acknowledges what we may lose if we cannot change from our present course, but never fully deviates from the joy and brightness that is still possible.


- Jorie Jenkins



Tuesday, June 14, 2016

The Wasps : Aristocrats of the Dillydell


Originals matted, framed, and ready for the show...

16x20 barn wood frames, $325 each

Many of my works lead to pairs and even groupings of illustration, and although I cannot remember who came first between these two, the Wasp aristocrats make a grand couple. Dressed exceptionally well for their public roles as Ambassadors at a regional Earth Summit, the Wasps have traveled far from their paper homes in the Mangrove trees of the Dillydell.

Among the Wasp folk there is a wandering minstrel, known for his singing and fiddle playing. A song made famous by him tells of the division between humans, in Iridia, and Nature, which hides in the realms known as Mirico.


The Breaking of the World

Against the wind o'Ridian wood, now raised to sky divided
and woodland kin remember good, as both in worlds resided

N'Miridin was once our name, All World where nothing broken
but thought unkind and selfish came, and end of Whole was spoken

And where once good did rise, the way of foe and weapons wielding 
and all who small though fight they should, did bend to powers yielding

Where severed World from one to two was born the grave Division
'twas those a'walking gentler, who did solemn make decision

But is said no more the Two be so, N'Miridin awaken
for through the seam a Child shall go, returning what was taken

Iridia no longer be, nor Mirico within Her
N'Miridin shall rise in those who once again begin Her

Iridia was named the place where rough the Hand came crashing
where into root and water's grace came steely teeth a'gnashing

And Mirico was place unbent where not came Man a'prying
where voices Earth in all extent could speak without a'crying

And Mirico did shrink away as Hand groped in to claim Her
as further into cave and bay did Man move swift to frame Her

But Child you hold without your hands in Mind and Heart the Healing
so come you home to Mirico, whose secrets We revealing

Iridia no longer be, nor Mirico within Her
N'Miridin shall rise in those who once again begin Her.

No comments:

Post a Comment