Artist's Statement



I'm not really sure just how I do what I do as I create. As I write or sculpt or paint, play an instrument or sing, I disappear, becoming whatever it is that is being creatively born. It is only in a sort of shimmering aftermath that I realize I have been absent, and like a whale emerging from the depths suddenly 'I am' once more.
I am sitting in a room. There is a window beside me, softened at its edges by curtains, and a breeze pulls through. There is a floor beneath my feet. Where have I been?

Then I look and see that the paper beneath my hands is no longer blank, or the room resonates with the music that has flown forth from the guitar I am holding. Words have crowded onto the page of my notebook like a gathering of gleeful old friends. Something I cannot fully explain, whose origins are a complete mystery, exists, where before it did not.


While I do not know how I do what I do, I deeply know why. Much of the world is in pain, and those of us in it feel, in various ways, the dissonance, as the pain reverberates through. Something is wrong with the way we regard the Earth. Something is broken as we treat each other so poorly, as we stagnate in hate, and as we are absorbed by fear. Something needs to change, as we are so bad to ourselves, as we succumb to doubt, isolation and anger.

As I disappear, I think I must be seeking a solution to some of these challenges, issues, and difficulties. What I bring back with me, in words or images or music, responds to the friction, loneliness, misunderstanding and hurt in the world. It questions the way things are, and suggests kindness, symbiosis, awareness and playfulness. It acknowledges what we may lose if we cannot change from our present course, but never fully deviates from the joy and brightness that is still possible.


- Jorie Jenkins



Wednesday, June 15, 2016

The Ta'me of the Vexed Mists



Expert bogmaw hunters and gifted trackers, these exceptionally strong frogmen grow to at least two meters in height. They can trace their lineage through the Nile Delta, where they interacted with the people of Kimet, now known in modern times as Egypt. During the reign of the Egyptian kings, the Ta'me were revered as gods, and were sought for natural remedy and spiritual  guidance.

Having since migrated to many bog cultures throughout the world, such as Kakadu in Australia, Karala in India, and the Okavango in Botswana, The Ta'me of the Pantanal (known as the Dillydell to Miriconians) are the guardians of a very reclusive species of Snail People known as the Shelkie. The Vexed Mists of the Dillydell are given this name because they are a truly confusing region to pass through. Many of the larger islands here are actually massive foraging hermit crabs, who slowly move along searching for food as small forests grow upon their backs. Thus, the landscape of the bog is constantly shifting, and it is almost impossible to keep your bearings. The best way to travel the Mists is to befriend a water beetle, who may agree to swim you across. Even with a reliable guide, the region is not without its dangers, as just beneath the surface there may lurk massive flesh-eating plants known as bogmaw, which are capable of swallowing a man or a small boat whole.

The Dillydell is an area of 140,000 to 195,000 square kilometers depending on the flood pulse, being the largest wetland in the world. Up to 12 sub-regional ecosystems are identified, each with distinct hydrological, geological and ecological characteristics. Within these systems there are 658 species of birds, 190 mammals, 50 reptiles, 270 fish and 1,132 types of butterfly. While the Golden Mussel, introduced by Man, has become a truly invasive species threatening the balance of many ecosystems here, the Ta'me do utilize these persistent invaders as an additional food source.

"During the rainy season, the water in the marsh basin rises between two and five meters. Just as the Nile delta is fertile, arable land, so too are the Dillydell plains. The dramatic increase of water during the rainy season nourishes the producers of the marsh, which in turn nourishes all the other species, as well. Humans have taken advantage of this so much that it has become a problem." 

- Iridian Anthropologist


Original illustration, 11x14
matted to 16x20
$300

No comments:

Post a Comment